Some of the images and language that appear in the digital collections depict prejudices that are not condoned by the University of Mississippi. This content is being presented as historical documentation to aid in the understanding of both American history and the history of the University of Mississippi. The University Creed speaks to our current deeply held values, and the availability of this content should not be taken as an endorsement of previous attitudes or behavior.
Six men and the Confederate monument in the Ole Miss Circle. Typed on photograph: Official dedication of the Confederate Monument in 1910. Pictured are Col. J.L. Shinault, Camp Commander, R.L. Stephens, Adjustant, and Lafayette County Camp of United Confederate Veterans. [Full page images can be found in Box 1 scrapbook, also in this image gallery.]
Cofield Collection (MUM00078); J.R. and Jack Cofield original works are copyrighted to the University of Mississippi. Many images were collected by J.R. Cofield, and are subject to copyright under the creator. Archives and Special Collections. University of Mississippi Libraries.