Date of Award
M.A. in History
Charles S. Sydnor
O. A. Shaw
J. W. Bell
Yalobusha County was created by an act of the Mississippi State Legislature on December 23, 1833, from territory ceded to the United States Government by the Choctaw and Chickasaw Indians. The county was a perfect square containing twenty-five townships or nine hundred square miles.
The early towns were Hendersonville, Grenada, Preston, Coffeeville, Troy, Sardinia, Graysport and Oakland. These places had their beginning between 1830 and 1838. Coffeeville oits origin to the fact that it was chosen as the county seat; Grenada, Troy and Graysport, on the river, were used as shipping sites; Hendersonville, Sardinia, Oakland and Preston were inland towns built on stage roads. By 1860 all of the early towns except Grenada, Coffeeville and Oakland had passed away, leaving few landmarks. Both Coffeeville and Oakland have felt the power of the railroad’s influence in that both have been forced to move a short distance and build anew.
Hathorn, Hiram Percy, "Organization and Early History of Yalobusha County" (1933). Electronic Theses and Dissertations. 1730.