John Leslie served as mayor of Oxford, Mississippi from 1973 until 1997. Under his leadership the town secured federal and state funds, levied local use taxes, modernized streets and infrastructure, built a public library, swimming pool, tennis courts, and a community baseball stadium. Leslie also operated Leslie’s Drugstore from 1951 until 1989 and served at one time as president of the Mississippi Pharmaceutical Association.
The material provided here represents only a fraction of a much larger physical collection whose finding aid is available online.
Images from the collection (L to R): John Leslie in front of new Oxford welcome sign (1990-1997); John and Elizabeth Leslie in a parade (1999)